Appalachian State University strongly encourages students to purchase a Dell or Apple laptop from the University Bookstore.
- These computers are discounted with academic pricing.
- All Dell computers come with up to a 4 year warranty and include accidental damage.
- All Apple Macintosh computers come with a one way warranty that can be extended with three years of Applecare Plus.
To help you in your decision process, here are the minimum laptop specifications for most courses:
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or better or AMD Ryzen or better, apple M1
- Memory: 8 GB minimum
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 or Mac OS 10.15.7 or higher
- Hard Disk Drive: 256 GB SSD or larger
- Display: 12" or larger, 1080 Resolution or better, integrated graphics or discrete graphics for some departments
- Audio: Built-in audio capabilities (speaker, microphone, webcam)
- Communication devices: 802.11ac Dual-band Wireless-AC or better
The Appalachian State IT Technology Support Center, located in Anne Belk Hall, offers computer repair services and can also provide a loaner while your laptop is being worked on.