Textbook Rental Program
The University Bookstore’s textbook rental program provides every undergraduate student access to textbooks and course materials, digitally and physically, in exchange for a fixed fee per semester. Beginning in fall 2022, graduate students will also be eligible for the textbook rental program.
The program's new digital delivery system offers students equitable access, convenience, sustainable options — and savings. Approximately 70%–80% of textbooks and course materials are available in digital form; titles that are not will be available as a physical textbook.
Benefits of the digital program
- Students arrive on the first day of class with access to course materials already in place.
- Students can access content anywhere, anytime — including offline.
- Digital books increase accessibility for individuals with various disabilities and accommodate screen readers or font enlargement.
- Digital books are sustainable, requiring no physical delivery, packing materials or labor, nor do they contribute to landfill waste.
- Student fees include a fixed cost per term that covers required textbooks and course materials. This fee is $263 for Spring and Fall terms and $63 for Summer terms. Beginning in fall 2022, graduate students will have a fee of $70.
- Across the University of North Carolina System, the average cost of books and supplies for full-time undergraduate students was $1,113 in the 2019–20 academic year.
- Some course materials, including lab kits, workbooks, one-time use items, course packs, and other items are not included in the rental fee and will be purchased separately.
- Students can choose to opt out of the program each term. For example, students who have internships or limited need for materials during a term may opt out. Others might want to buy and keep their materials for future reference.
Visit the Student Textbook Resources page for important deadlines, information on accessing your textbooks and course materials, and how to opt out of the textbook rental program.
If you have questions, please put in a Bookstore Support Request ticket (log-in required).